I’ve tried making frozen greek yogurt before but the texture never turned out right. I finally found the solution – raw egg whites whipped to a meringue (yes, it’s safe if you used pasteurized egg whites). The ratio that works for me is 1 egg white per 1 cup of greek yogurt. The taste and texture is AMAZING. It tastes cold and tangy, and the texture is just like ice cream. Hard to believe that it’s this healthy, and so refreshing.
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt (2% or full fat, I use Fage or Cabot)
- 2 egg whites
- 8 packets sweetener (I use Truvia)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the egg whites for 2-3 minutes with a mixer using the whisk attachment until they form soft peaks (like a meringue).
- Fold in yogurt, vanilla and sweetener. Mix gently and try to maintain as much air as possible in the meringue .. this is where your texture comes from.
- Put it in your ice cream maker and let it do it’s thing. Mine took about 10 minutes until it was the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
bonus: add lemon zest from 1 lemon and juice from half a lemon – refreshing, lemon yogurt
This makes a huge bowl of frozen yogurt – around 3 cups. I have zero problem eating all of it myself…
- Calories: 350 calories
- Protein: 54g (POW!)
- Carbs: 22g
- Fat: 10g